This week has been crazy.
Thursday the flooring people came and then proceeded to tell me that I didn't ask for base shoe. I did. This meant I spent the morning on the phone with their bosses. I was particularly freaked out when the flooring people said they couldn't install the base shoe in time because they would have to put it on wet which would ruin the floor. Their boss, at least, was horrified that they said this to me and assured me everything would be taken care of appropriately. Then I had to run home at lunch to deliver the paint I had been using for the trim to the flooring people.
They got the Living Room, Hallway, and half the Dining Room on Thursday. That night I had to quickcrete the hole in the laundry room and finish prepping the rest of the floor. The A/C went out that night.
Friday ended up even crazier than Thursday. The flooring people were late, and sent half a crew, but assured me they would be done by lunch and that I would need to be home by then. Of course I had a lunch meeting so this was impossible. So I went to the dentist, then ran home to see if they would be done at lunch...no dice. They hadn't even finished the kitchen. Then ran to a 2 hr lunch meeting with my advisor. Ran back home to check...still not done, but the AC guy had been by so that was working better. Then I ran to work and came home at 4 pm...they still weren't done until after 5 pm.
Of course I had to leave because I had to head off to a bbq. At the bbq I ran into my friend's friend we'll call Sam. Two weeks ago my friend invited me to a jewelry party Sam was hosting, telling me she was struggling a bit and this would help. So I bought a ring and thought nothing of it. Well, I ran into Sam at the bbq and she starts telling me about how she also has a side photography business and she's been doing a bunch of shoots on the base. I told her I thought that was nice and would probably provide her with steady business, after all military families have to document, especially with the OPTEMPO the way it is. She agrees, but says she because the girl she shot this week was 18, newlywed, uneducated, and pregnant. I made an off-hand remark about how not all military spouses are that way and she stops me mid-sentence and tells me that "You don't even know. They're ALL like that...."
My friend, being the good hostess that she is, interjects to tell her I am a military spouse, which drops the conversation temporarily, but it's clear from the look on her face that she has more to say.
At this point, I decided to be an ass. My friend asked me why she hadn't seen me lately and I said, "Well, you know getting a PhD in science is really time consuming." I'll let Sam fill in the blanks from there. It's the ultimate, I'm going to be an ass without saying I am being an ass. She got up and left, which worked for me. The rest of us had a great evening.
Then yesterday, I spent the day rearranging the house post construction and dropping my car off to get the window repaired. The AC is holding steady....YAY!
Today is all about writing the proposal. The guy I might work with in Michigan is very hands off, but supportive, so that is good news. I can deal with that combo and my meeting with J (1/2 of the advisor duo) on Friday helped clarify what I need to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment